Five PRSSA members from SIUE spent the day networking with public relations professionals from various industry sectors including nonprofit, government, corporate, agency, independent and sports PR at the St. Louis Chapter PRSA Pro-Am Day on March 23 hosted by St. Louis University PRSSA.
Students also had the opportunity to connect with members of PRSA during lunch and learn strategies for developing and sustaining their personal brand from keynote speaker, Carrie Muehlemann from The Creative Group. Following lunch, PRSA members shared tips with students on how to improve their resumes and cover letters during a resume and cover letter review.
The event program offered the following six tips for a successful Pro-Am Day, and I am proud to say that all of the SIUE members heeded this advice.
1. Speak up! Don’t hesitate to ask questions.
2. Discuss! Join in the roundtable conversations.
3. Network! Introduce yourself to other students and professionals.
4. Branch out! Sit with a new group of students and professionals at lunch.
5. Take notes! Jot down notes to remember key points – and to share them with your PRSSA chapter and classmates.
6. Follow up! Send a follow-up note to your new contacts after Pro-Am Day is over.
SIUE students took full advantage of every opportunity presented to them at Pro-Am Day. All of them were glad they went and believed they walked away with valuable tips as well as new connections with professionals in the industry.
The St. Louis PRSA Chapter did an outstanding job of putting together an engaging and informative event for students, and the participating professionals were eager to reach out to the students. PRSSA students are fortunate to have so many PR professionals in the St. Louis area who are willing to serve as mentors and share their time and expertise with them.
I encourage other PRSSA members who were not able to attend to talk with these students – they’d be happy to share what they learned!
Pull up a chair and let’s talk!